Built St. Louis > > Vanished Buildings || Central Corridor > > Midtown East > > Castle Ballroom - Olive Street
2839 Olive - the Castle Ballroom - was a major dance spot for the city from its completion in 1908 until around 1950. The titular ballroom has been largely vacant ever since, but still exists behind those double-height windows. The building most recently held a retail store called Hats Galore & More.
The building is slathered in angular window hoods and elaborate brick work. The ground floor has been completely muddled over with layers of cheap alterations, the cornice is long gone, and it's gained a mansard skirt at ground level - but it's still a show-stopper.
The long-vacant structure suffered a roof collapse in November 2013; after further deterioration, it was demolished in May 2014.
National Register of Historic Places form for the Castle Ballroom
Continue touring (Vanished Buildings / Midtown East) > > >