Built St. Louis > > Central Corridor > > Downtown West > > Locust Street
1508 Locust Street
A rare survivor from the age of Victorian opulence, this is one of the oldest buildings in downtown St. Louis, and one of the very few first-generation buildings left there.
The Campbell house was part of Lucas Place, one of the very first private streets in the city, and an early attempt of the wealthy to flee westward from the noxious elements of urban life (a trend that continues today on a vastly inflated scale.) A center of social life in the 1870s, it survived while every house around it disappeared in the early 20th century, as three bachelor brothers lived in seclusion until their deaths in the 1930s. The house was converted to a museum in the 1940s, almost unchanged from its state of 60 years earlier.
Campbell House Museum site
Continue touring > > >