Built St. Louis > > The South Side > > Carondelet

Broadway remains a commercially developed street all the way to the city limits, though many of its small businesses have disappeared.

Engine House No. 34 - 8227 S. Broadway - Built in 1895, Engine House 34 is tied with #35 (Arsenal on the Hill) for the title of oldest operating firehouse in the city.

The Anton Schmitt House stands on Broadway in a corner of South St. Louis Square Park. The 1859 gray stone house was relocated in 1992 from industrial lands further west, near River des Pere.

Off-site link: National Historic Register form for the Schmitt house

South Public Food Market, with its Midcentury neon sign, occupies one corner of the city block which is otherwise given over to the park.

This wonderful row of Romanesque mixed-use buildings stands on Broadway at Steins Street. It was boarded up in 2006, but renovated as housing by 2009.

Around the corner, on E. Steins Street, is another gray limestone house, heavily altered and added on to.

These commercial buildings at 7121 S. Broadway date from 1879.

Home | More Carondelet > > >