Built St. Louis: The North Side
The Slow Death of a City Block: 1900 Montgomery Street


November 2007


November 2007


Photograph courtesy of Toby Weiss.


November 2007


Photograph courtesy of Toby Weiss.

1919 / 1917 Montgomery Street
1919 and 1917 are conjoined by a shared party wall, making them true row houses (most of the closely-packed houses in St. Louis are free-standing townhouses.)

1919 is remarkably vintage. Its original dormers and their woodwork are intact. The wood-paneled entrance is original. The rear staircase configuration survives intact. It also sports a mousehole -- the narrow arched entryway on the right side, allowing access to the rear stairs -- the only only surviving one on the block. The building had electrical work performed as recently as 1993, and appears to have gone vacant in 1998.

1917 is a single-bay building; it was constructed with oddly small windows (compare their height to those on 1919). It has suffered loss of one of its dormer windows.

Both addresses are owned by the city's Land Reutilization Authority. 1917 was completely destroyed by brick rustlers in May 2007; 1919 lost its western side wall. The ruins of both were finally bulldozed and removed in November 2007.


Above: CAD sketch of the front elevation.

1900 Montgomery Street || Block Elevations || Next house > > >

t; >