Built St. Louis: The North Side
The Slow Death of a City Block: 1900 Montgomery Street


Photograph courtesy of Toby Weiss.


November 2007


January 2008


November 2007


Photograph courtesy of Toby Weiss.


1915 seen from the alley across the street, March 2003. The white building is part of a prefabricated house that arrived by trailer.


Above: CAD sketch of the front elevation.

1915 Montgomery Street
A 3-bay townhouse, featuring a gabled roof which was common before the mansard roof craze caught on. It was built in 1883, and was most recently listed as a two-family building, with a full basement and dirt floor, 2195 square feet. Permit and vacant building records show it was occupied until 1994 or so.

It was purchased by Blairmont shell company "N & G Ventures LC" in May 2006. One year later, it was attacked by brick rustlers, along with the other surviving houses on its block. Despite collapsing to little more than a pile of debris, the remains were not removed along with its neighbors to the west, and still sat as of January 2008.


View looking east from 1915 Montgomery, summer 2003. 1902 is visible at the far right; St. Louis Avenue to the left. The prefab house from the previous view is at center.

1900 Montgomery Street || Block Elevations || Next house > > >