Built St. Louis > > Historic Churches || Midtown > > 3rd Baptist Church
Across the street from the University Club tower is Midtown's most sculptural building, the streamlined Gothic of the
3rd Baptist Church.
The church has been located on this site since 1885; the current building went up in stages starting that year. The south elevation
was rebuilt following the alteration of Washington Avenue that left the building facing a park. It
was not finalized in its current form till 1951.
The cavernous entry arches, though shallow, create enormous shadows and
seem ready to engulf the passerby. They make this building a prominent and unmistakable presence
on the street. The vertical neon sign adds a further touch of Art Deco sensibility to the limestone building, and reflects the the building's complex history.
Tour map || Continue touring > > >