Built St. Louis > > Crumbling Landmarks > > Central Institute for the Deaf
Central Institute for the Deaf
Architect: William B. Ittner
Date: 1916; 1929
Additions by Mackey Mitchell Associates, 2000
Along with the former Shriners Hospital across the street, the Central Institute for the Deaf is among the buildings under consideration for demolition by the massive Washington University Medical Center complex.
The Central Institute for the Deaf is another entry in Ittner's extensively feathered cap. It uses the same Mediterranian stylings that characterize so many of his reknown school buildings, adapted to different purposes. Though not as elaborately ornamented as its neighbor to the north, it is still rich in terra cotta detail, with ironwork accents and a Spanish tile roof.
The building is still used today; the CID completed a massive expansion just eight years ago. It is a bit mind boggling that such a building would even be considered for demolition, but it's happened again and again and again in St. Louis. No architectural crime is too outrageous to consider.
- Vanishing STL has more details on the campus plans
- Landmarks Association of St. Louis includes both buildings on their Eleven Most Endangered list for 2008.
- Future Growth of Washington University Medical Center - forum discussion at Urban St. Louis.
Next Site > > >