Built St. Louis > > The Watertowers || College Hill > > Grand Avenue Watertower
Nearly on the opposite end of the city, but still on the same road, stands the Grand Avenue or White Water Tower.
A free-standing, 154-foot Corinthian column, it is by far the most surreal of the three, rising out of an oval plaza in the center of the street. George Barnett, a St. Louis architect of considerable reknown, designed it in 1871, when the area was on the outskirts of the city. It originally served a waterworks complex on the Mississipi, at Bissel's Point.
The oldest of the three, it was also the first to go out of service, in 1912, when the erratic steam-driven pumping system began to be replaced by more stable electric pumps. Area residents have successfully resisted several attempts to have it demolished over the years.
|| Continue > >