Built St. Louis > > Central Corridor > > Washington Avenue
November 2008 - the rear view reveals the devastating extent of the fire.
1122 Washington Avenue
Architect: Mauran & Russell, 1909
In 1975, this building's storefront operations included American Blood Components, Inc., a blood plasma donor center -- perhaps a good indication of downtown's status at the time. Subsequently vacated, it stood boarded up through the 1990s.
In the mid-2000s the building was renovated and opened in 2005 as the Copia Urban Winery restaurant. It did a thriving business until it was severely damaged by arson in December 2007. Some salvage work was underway in late 2008, but the extent of future plans remained unclear.