Built St. Louis > > The South Side > > Carondelet

The Sisters of St. Joseoph of Carondelet occupy a dramatic complex of buildings on an equally dramatic blufftop site at Minnesota and Holly Hill. The Sisters began their mission in St. Louis in 1836, raising orphans and teaching the deaf. The complex of Gothic and Romanesque convent buildings began in 1840 and went up in stages through 1900.

The chapel shown here is the Holy Family Chapel, an 1889 structure by Aloysius F. Gillick.

Across the street from the convent stands the Catholic church of Saints Mary and Joseph, along with its associated school building.

Home | More Carondelet > > >