Built St. Louis > > The South Side > > Carondelet

This area of Broadway is roughly where the village of Carondelet was founded in 1767, by a French settler travelling upriver from St. Genevieve. Carondelet was an agricultural community, and common grazing fields for livestock extended for several miles south and west.

With the coming of the railroads in 1859, Carondelet underwent a transformation. The railroad combined with the river to make this a perfect site for industrial development. For the next century, Carondelet would be a manufacturing powerhouse.

This impressive bridge over Broadway leads into Bellerive Park.

South Broadway, and the streets around it, are full of fragments from the area's past. Urban townhouses sit next to parking lots, old gas stations are repurposed as offices, and storefronts go through endless cycles of reuse.

Home | More Carondelet > > >