Built St. Louis > > Midtown > > Sheldon Hall
The final landmark on the block is around the corner from the Humbolt - the Sheldon Memorial Theater,
a solid little classically-influenced building constructed
in 1912. It was home to the Ethical Society until the 1960s, functioned briefly as a church, and has been a concert
center and art gallery since 1985.
The photograph shown here, circa 1980, is most notable for the background buildings at right. Every one of them is gone now, including
a startlingly ornate garage that was razed in the 1990s.
Image from the Mound City on the Mississippi history site.
Return to tour map > > >