Built St. Louis > > Central Corridor > > Midtown East > > Locust Street

Firestone Tire & Rubber Company
3201 Locust Street
Architect: Albert B. Groves
1911 with later alterations

A series of auto dealerships co-occupied the buildign along with Firestone in its early days. Later uses included various industrial and mechanical parts companies. Most of its ground floor windows are infilled in 1950s frame and metal panels, while the 2nd floor windows are covered in asbestos panels.

The ghost outline of a long-vanished house remains on the western party wall.

Standard Auto Parts
3200 Locust Street
Architect: Saul L. Rubin
1944

A latecomer to the Automobile Row party, this streamlined building mirrors the similarly styled Moto Museum several blocks west. Its divergent style and late date of construction are the result of a 1944 fire that destroyed most of its predecessor; the new building was built on the remaining foundations. Standard Auto Parts remained in this building for many decades.

Today the building is home to Touchwood Creative, an ad and marketing company.

Cadillac-Chrysler Building
3224 Locust Street
1919
Architect: William A. Balsch

Originally the Cadillac Automobile Company Building, this Egyptian Revival structure stands out even amid the clamor of architecturally competing buildings along Automobile Row. The elaborate facade conceals a concrete structure and an unadorned interior, as this was essentially a warehouse for automobiles, complete with an auto-scaled elevator to move them about.

Like many buildings on Automobile Row, it currently bears a plaque telling the history of its former four-wheeled occupants, placed by the Horseless Carriage Club of Missouri. Built as a Cadillac dealership, it changed hands in 1932, selling Chryslers until 1948.

  • National Register nomination form for the Cadillac-Chrysler Building
  • Underwriters Salvage Corps No. 3
    3321 Locust Street
    1892

    A sort of supplemental protection force against fire damage, this company was organized in 1874, to protect and salvage valuables from burning buildings before they could be destroyed. The organization disbanded at the end of 1955.

    Pedigo-Weber Shoe Company
    3427-3441 Locust Street
    Architect: Albert B. Groves
    1918

    Originally home to one of St. Louis's many shoe manufacturers; most recently the home of Zane Williams Inc., a large-format printing company specializing in banners for lightpoles, buildings, etc. The simple, brawny building is flagrantly industrial in size and design, with an exposed concrete structure on the back and massive windows to admit lots of light.

    Continue touring > > >