Built St. Louis > > Central Corridor > > Midtown East > > Locust Street

Small commercial buildings on the 2800 block of Locust Street.

2815 Locust

2835 Locust

2800 Locust Street - Industrial Process Equipment. This address unifies two (possibly 3) buildings behind two distinct facades. The right-hand structure hints at interesting origins, with its terra cotta facade decoration including sculpted turtles, crabs, and plieosaurs, as well as the winged wheels that signify it as part of Automobile Row. Its conjoined neighbor to the east is decorated in the Beaux Arts style, with lions-head brackets supporting a small dentilated cornice.

These two buildings begin a remarkable 2-block sequence of buildings along the south side of Locust Street.

This portion of Automobile Row is a delightful mish-mash of Spanish Colonial Style, Arts and Crafts, and Beaux Arts.

Left to right:

Whistle Bottling Company Building
2914 Locust
Architect: Francis G. Avis
1920

Built for a soda company; a series of such ventures were located here, including Vess, through 1952. Today home to Guarantee Interiors Construction Company.

Cadillac Building
2920-22 Locust
Architect: Nolte & Nauman
1916

Named for a Cadillac distributor who operated here for only three years. The building was consolidated under the neighboring soda companies, but also held storefront tenants at the street. Today the United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers and Allied Workers Local #2.

McGuire National Lubricating Oil and Supply Co.
2924 Locust 1914

  • National Register nomination form - Locust Street Automotive District
  • J.R. Owens Company / Standard Automotive Corp.
    2926 - 2936 Locust
    Preston Bradshaw
    1920

    A Dutch Half-Timber styled building, with two separate storefronts. Several auto dealerships were here from 1920 through 1939, follwed by an electrical supply company that remained for over two decades.

    Current tenants include the Nu-Art Series gallery at 2936 Locust, with its distinctive gates recalling a 1960s version of Modrian.

    Across the street, an entire city block stands vacant. The Salvation Army owns these properties.

    Diamond Rubber Company / B.F. Goodrich Rubber Company
    3001 Locust Street
    Albert B. Groves
    1913

    A glassy brick building with a stunning and unique cornice. Like many others in the area, this building was occupied by a parade of automotive dealers and parts manufacturers from its construction until 1939, followed by several moving and storage companies into the 1960s. Today Anatomy of Style, a boutique clothing store, occupies the ground floor, while Rock Workout gym is upstairs.

    Nash Saint Louis Motor Company
    3000 Locust Street
    Preston J. Bradshaw
    1920

    Like many others in the area, this building was occupied by a parade of automotive dealers and wholesalers from its construction until 1941. The infill of the storefront windows dates from 1943.

    Velie Motor Building
    3021 Locust Street
    Architect: Stephens & Pearson
    1916

    This Beaux Arts styled building housed a series of automotive dealers and parts companies into the 1950s, followed by a battery wholesaler.

    Northern Motor Company
    3027 Locust Street
    Architect: Preston Bradshaw
    1917

    A string of motor companies that lasted until 1930; after a prolonged vacancy that lasted till 1938, the building was occupied in turn by a printer, a (mail?) distribution company, and a masonry contractor. Today it houses Luxury Sports and Imports.

    Leach-Brouster and Company Building
    3037 Locust Street
    Architect: Preston Bradshaw
    1916

    The title company lasted only 2 years before being replaced by the Supreme Motor Company, a dealer for the Stutz automobile, built in Indianapolis. Two more dealers followed, then two tire companies in the 1940s. The 1950s saw a variety of companies housed here, including a chemical company, a brokerage house, and the advertising department for Coca-Cola Bottling.

    Today, it's home to the Fountain on Locust, a restaurant and ice cream parlor with a retro Art Deco interior.

    Tate Motor Car Company Building
    3041 Locust Street
    Architect: Reinforced Concrete Architectural Company
    1918

    This building's automotive past remains visible in a faded ghost sign for Buick which remains on the western facade. The sign presumably dates to 1932, when Reder Rangers Buick, Inc. occupied the building for 2 years. As with many neighboring buildings, the automotive concerns were gone by 1941, with a series of distributors following - refrigerators and loose leaf binders among the products sold.

    The current occupant is the J.P. Bushnell Packing Supply Company, a distributor of hoses, belts, fittings, and other industrial materials.

    Continue touring > > >